View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
(female)

zoogiejab HB User
Vit. D. not really going up and I'm losing weight

Back when I was living in NYC I went to an endocrinologist to see if there was anything in that field contributing to my newly-obtained Alopecia Areata. The dr. found in labs that my Vitamin D levels were "very low" (that's all the info I got) and I took 4 50000iu over the course of 2 months as per her instructions, as well as OTC vitamin d afterwards.

In December I moved back to TX, where sunshine / space for sun to shine is abundant. I took up gardening and get outdoors much more than before.

In feb. I got labs done at the gyno and she found my vitamin d level to be 23. She prescribed another 4 pills like the other dr in NY had done.

I just got new lab results back from followup visit (june) and my levels are 23.8 despite a conscientious effort on my part to take the pills and get some non-burning sunshine. The nurse says she wants me at 30.

I have very pale skin, and I would think it would be easier to absorb the vitamin.. and I'm confused as to why it went up so little. Also I have been losing weight (not trying) to the point of being underweight, and I have read that vitamin d deficiency should not promote weight loss.. and if anything promotes gain?

I've been prescribed another regimen.. I am not sure what the labs tested for but according to nurse all other levels are good. Is this normal to see such little improvement or is this a sign of something worse?