Thread: Hpv
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
(male)

notafan HB User
Re: Hpv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali333 View Post
It's a virus, so it's not "curable". The symptoms (such as genital warts or precancer of the cervix, depending upon which strain of the virus she had) can be treated, but this does not cure the virus.

However, the virus does not remain in the body forever.
In the vast majority of people, it clears from the body within approximately 12 to 18 months.

There is a simple test for HPV (simple for females, anyway... much more invasive for males).
In females, it only involves a cervical swab similar to a PAP smear.

Perhaps if you're afraid of HPV, your girlfriend could go have this test and see if she still has the virus or not.
If she does, condoms will not really help, because the virus is not spread via bodily fluids but via skin to skin contact.

However, you should be aware that over 75% of sexually active Americans have had the HPV virus at one point or another; it's not something you're likely to be able to avoid, and in fact you may already have it.
It's that common.
And in males, it presents no health risks and has no symptoms, unless you're unfortunate enough to get one of the two strains that cause genital warts.

Best of luck.
Thank you! I thought I had read that it could cause cancer for males as well, but I'm not certain.