Thread: Hpv
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User
Re: Hpv

Quote:
Originally Posted by notafan View Post
Thank you! I thought I had read that it could cause cancer for males as well, but I'm not certain.
There is a tentative association between high risk strains of HPV and penile cancer in males, but the risk is negligible.
If you look at cancer statistics, penile cancer is incredibly rare in the developed world.
This fact, in combination with the fact that the majority of men have HPV at one time or another, shows that if there is any risk of penile cancer from HPV, it is tiny indeed.

According to the American Cancer Society, a man's risk of developing penile cancer is less than one in 100,000.
Just over 1000 cases of penile cancer are diagnosed in the US each year, and just over 300 men per year die of it. It is one of the rarest types of cancer there is. Your odds of winning the lottery or getting struck by lightning are much better.

Don't worry about it.