View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #4
(male)

manybikes HB Usermanybikes HB User
Re: Bilateral hypofunction

Hi Uga

I went bilateral about 6 years ago, I was 50 years old....ugh!
Yes, I more or less lead a normal life now, most people including my friends really don't notice that there is anything wrong with me.
I ride my motorcycle on a regular basis and have minimal problems walking in malls and stores etc.
However, walking in very dark situations on uneven ground etc. is still not entirely easy.
The oscillopsia at first was a horror show ( I am sure you are aware of that). It does slowly get better...and I mean slowly!
I get periods where it will almost disappear and then I will relapse and it will return, but when that happens it is always mild and not as bad as when it first started.
It took a good 2-3 years before I really started feeling confident doing a lot of things I used to.
You really have to push yourself pretty hard to learn to adapt. However..always always keep your safety at the top of the list, don't start driving the freeways at night thinking you will get good at it in a week! For example, I used to slalom waterski, 3 years ago I was determined to get back into it and broke my back in the process...not smart! You must be careful! I have now switched to the Airchair for my water sports...fun stuff.
Do everything little bits at a time . It is one of those deals where it is 3 steps forward and 2 steps back.

The Following User Says Thank You to manybikes For This Useful Post:
Imbo (04-21-2012)