View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 02:28 PM   #10
(male)

manybikes HB Usermanybikes HB User
Re: Bilateral hypofunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by uga View Post
Manybikes:

I have heard that about meniere's patients, vertigo for hours if not days. I hear they often just kill their ears to stop the vertigo and just go without vestibular function

Manybikes:

did you ever use walking assistance the first year or so, like a walking stick, cane, wheelchair?

I am hoping the oscillopsia settles in the comming months. How long before your fatigue lifted so you could make it through the day.

My dr told me that having no function is better thn bad function, if you have bad function/uneven function than the vertigo comes and that can be worse.

It sounds that after about 3-5 years I should relatively normal, was that your experience?thanks manybikes!!!

Do you see anyproblems bein ale to sail again one day?

Manybikes: do you still have the lightheadedness, concentration lapses or disorienttion feeling anymore?

Following fast moving objects is troublesome, does that improve as well?

Thanks my friend!!!!
Hi Uga

No, I did not require a cane/wheelchair etc. at first. I did however stagger like a drunk in broad daylight and walking in low light conditions was horrible.
I should have actually used a cane but I was stubborn. Everyone is different Uga, so if you really need a cane etc. do not hesitate to use it. No sense falling down and hurting yourself. This is something you always have to remember, you can be easily injured so always be aware of your limitations as you start to adapt. Push yourself but always be safe and be happy with your accomplishments as they happen.

The fatigue seemed to come and go. I was always able to make it through the day but I would sometimes (depending on what I was doing) be totally bagged by early evening.
I no longer after any feelings of light headedness or disorientation but you may find that because you are concentrating on balance you may give people the impression that you are being aloof, distant or ignoring them in certain social situations. Hard to drink, stand, chat, chew gum and laugh all at the same time at a party LOL :0 But you do get over it!
Yes, you can get concentration lapses simply because you are overloading your brain, your brain is not used to doing 100% of the balance work so it takes time to re-train it.

I do not sail but I do spend a fair amount of time on the water in my ski boat. You will find that the rocking of the boat will give your head this weird kind of sloshy feeling, standing up and walking around on the boat will also take practise. Now when I am in the boat I really do not notice anything different and the weird sloshy feeling has disappeared.
Several years ago I went on a Alsakan cruise. When we were in rough seas I had absolutely no idea it was happening unless I looked outside. We were having a few drinks in our cabin with friends and I noticed the glasses on the table started to move..it was surreal because I could not feel the boat rocking (kind of hard to explain). It didn't surprise others because their inner ears were signalling the movement to them.

Fast moving objects can take time to get used to. You will find that going to a big screen action movie will really throw you off. Same with watching action on TV or your computer. Once again, you will adapt to these situations.

Manybikes