View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 07:01 AM   #11
(male)

uga HB User
Re: Bilateral hypofunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by manybikes View Post
Hi Uga

No, I did not require a cane/wheelchair etc. at first. I did however stagger like a drunk in broad daylight and walking in low light conditions was horrible.
I should have actually used a cane but I was stubborn. Everyone is different Uga, so if you really need a cane etc. do not hesitate to use it. No sense falling down and hurting yourself. This is something you always have to remember, you can be easily injured so always be aware of your limitations as you start to adapt. Push yourself but always be safe and be happy with your accomplishments as they happen.

The fatigue seemed to come and go. I was always able to make it through the day but I would sometimes (depending on what I was doing) be totally bagged by early evening.
I no longer after any feelings of light headedness or disorientation but you may find that because you are concentrating on balance you may give people the impression that you are being aloof, distant or ignoring them in certain social situations. Hard to drink, stand, chat, chew gum and laugh all at the same time at a party LOL :0 But you do get over it!
Yes, you can get concentration lapses simply because you are overloading your brain, your brain is not used to doing 100% of the balance work so it takes time to re-train it.

I do not sail but I do spend a fair amount of time on the water in my ski boat. You will find that the rocking of the boat will give your head this weird kind of sloshy feeling, standing up and walking around on the boat will also take practise. Now when I am in the boat I really do not notice anything different and the weird sloshy feeling has disappeared.
Several years ago I went on a Alsakan cruise. When we were in rough seas I had absolutely no idea it was happening unless I looked outside. We were having a few drinks in our cabin with friends and I noticed the glasses on the table started to move..it was surreal because I could not feel the boat rocking (kind of hard to explain). It didn't surprise others because their inner ears were signalling the movement to them.

Fast moving objects can take time to get used to. You will find that going to a big screen action movie will really throw you off. Same with watching action on TV or your computer. Once again, you will adapt to these situations.

Manybikes
thanks Manybikes!!!

I am going to start going to the gym and use the treadmill. i now realize this will be a long long road to haul, but one i can overcome with hardwork and determination.

i have read that having no vestibular function is better than having bad function that leaves people with constant vertigo in such diseases as menieres like you mentioned.

like you said be safe and celebrate the small acomplishments that will be my motto and everything will change for the better.

manybikes:
did you ever think you would have come as far as you have come, looking back on things?

from the naked eye, do you appear to have a normal gait/walk?

do you worry about being bumped in busy places? do you have trouble when walking up and down hills or stairs?

manybikes, what are your off days like now compared to the early days of having no vestibular function?

thanks,
sorry to bother you, but you have given me hope in a better tomorrow.

i appreciate everything you tell me and what to expect.