View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #12
(male)

manybikes HB Usermanybikes HB User
Re: Bilateral hypofunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by uga View Post
thanks Manybikes!!!

I am going to start going to the gym and use the treadmill. i now realize this will be a long long road to haul, but one i can overcome with hardwork and determination.

i have read that having no vestibular function is better than having bad function that leaves people with constant vertigo in such diseases as menieres like you mentioned.

like you said be safe and celebrate the small acomplishments that will be my motto and everything will change for the better.

manybikes:
did you ever think you would have come as far as you have come, looking back on things?

from the naked eye, do you appear to have a normal gait/walk?

do you worry about being bumped in busy places? do you have trouble when walking up and down hills or stairs?

manybikes, what are your off days like now compared to the early days of having no vestibular function?

thanks,
sorry to bother you, but you have given me hope in a better tomorrow.

i appreciate everything you tell me and what to expect.
Hi Uga

I never imagined I would be able to do the things I do now. I was told by one of my Doctors that I would never ride a motorcycle again. Believe me, there were some low points in the beginning where I really thought I would never get better.
To other people I appear perfectly normal, my gait/walk appears normal. Last week I went in for an eye exam, on my form I stated that I was BVF. The eye Doctor made a point of walking behind me on the way to the examining room. When we arrived he told me he was observing me walk and was surprised that I appeared to walk normally down the hallway, he asked me how I did it. I replied "thousands of hours of practise".
Even my wife has told me that she often forgets that there is anything wrong with me....other than my personality ! LOL

In the beginning being in crowed busy spaces with a lot of people can be very challenging, this no longer bothers me much, nor does it bother when I get jostled or bumped. Stairs and hills do not bother me but I usually use the handrail when climbing or descending stairs...which even normal people often do. I now can stop half way up a staircase and chat with someone, this used to be very hard to do.

I don't get many off days anymore, when I do it the only thing I will notice is maybe a slight increase in oscillopsia but nothing that stops me from doing whatever activity I have planned. My off days get fewer every year.

Another thing I did to challenge myself was to take a part-time job at the local golf course as a greens cutter. They use the walk behind type machines where you have to cut straight lines, every shift I end up walking about 2 miles. At first this was very challenging, now it is easy...other than having to get up at 5:00 AM !!

I replaced slalom skiing with the Airchair (you will have to google it to understand), oddly enough normal people have more trouble riding the thing than I do.

You are right Uga, it can be a long frustrating process but you do get better and you do learn to adapt.
Just out of curiosity, what caused your BVF? how old are you? how long have you been BVF?

Cheers
Manybikes

Last edited by manybikes; 08-01-2011 at 09:56 AM.