View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
(female)

kbsaccaro HB User
Atypical of Undetermined Significance

I just received my results from my thyroid FNA today and the diagnostic category was "atypia of undetermined significance". The diagnosis was: rare atypical follicular cells. There were rare clusters of follicular cells and enlarged and elongated nuclei with nuclear grooves, dense cytoplasm and rare calcifications. There were both follicular and Hurthle cells present.

It was recommended that I have a follow-up FNA biopsy in 3-6 months. From everything I've read/researched and have seen on this site and various threads, am I just prolonging the inevitable by holding off on a thyroidectomy?

I have requested a meeting with the surgeon who did my biopsy for a second opinion-it was my ENT who gave me the results today. Her advice was to wait and do the second biopsy in 3-6 months but she said she would also be comfortable recommending removal of the thyroid if that was the route I would be most comfortable with.

Totally confused at this point-the ambiguity seems to be common with FNA results of my kind as I've seen a lot of similar posts.

Thoughts, suggestions, feedback?