Thread: Losing Benefits
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: Losing Benefits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscat40 View Post
I got a letter in the mail this afternoon regarding my sons benefit he recieves off my record. He will be 18 on Wednesday. I thought I covered this and sent in the right information so that he would be able to continue benefits. He is disabled and in school. In May Social Security sent out a letter to be filled out by me and his teacher. He was able to attend the grauation Ceremony because he attended the High School while being in a Special Day class that is separate from the High School through the County. He did not graduate just attended the ceremoney.
I receved a letter about his next program he will go to , and it is a class for 18-22 year olds who are disabled. I gave the information to social security. I still recieved a letter stating that his benefits are over. I called the 1-800 number shortly after getting the letter, and the woman did not help.
I thought my son would continue recieving benefits off my record because he is still in school full time and disabled. BUT NO. I do not know what other evidence social security needs. So my family is losing close to $600.00 a month.
I am planning on going to the social security office tommorow , but unsure if anything will change. I am upset . I had applied for my son's SSI in April because he can get it on his own. That has not gone through yet, and he has a CE appointment this month. I was hoping he could have his benefits and their was not going to be any overlap, From one program to the other.
Now I do not know how i am going to make it next month. It took 8days too many to get this letter. I think social security shouild have mailed this sooner.
The SSA website says>>>>
Quote:
The child also must be:

Unmarried;
Younger than age 18;
18-19 years old and a full-time student (no higher than grade 12); or 18 or older and disabled. (The disability must have started before age 22.)
Even if they have not decided yet if your child is over 18 and still disabled yet, he is still in school fulltime and not 19 years old, correct? Why are they cutting him off if he is still in school (under 19) until they determine if he is still disabled or not. I am sorry you are going thru this mscat.