View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #33
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: Synvisc injections

Dondi :

I hope it's ok to ask, what is your age? I'm 45 and having right TKR 9/28/11.

The knee surgeon I had been seeing did cortisone and Synvisc. Those failed to work in any long term or meaningful way. But he kept saying "now we wait until you are 50 for TKR ". My neighbor works for a knee surgeon (she's an xray tech ) and she urged me to go see him. He's highly regarded so I agreed. He said point blank "your only option is a TKR and here's why". He then went over test results, symptoms, an examination, etc and felt hat based on what he saw TKR would work. He's done people as young at 28 and as old as 90! His approach takes into consideration age but moreso symptoms, treatments that have been tried, limitations and test results. I'm nervous, it's a big step, but am tired of my kne hurting all the time and now having to wear a knee brace every day for any errand or trip out of the house and often when

As my signature shows I've had a ton of surgery and in many ways TKR is harder than my last spine fusion in 2010. They put me in a back brace and told me to walk as much as I could (same with neck). TKR takes PT and devotion to home exercise to get the flexion and extension needed.

It can't hurt to get a second opinion if you're at the point where you've exhausted most known treatments

Last edited by SpineAZ; 08-13-2011 at 01:26 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to SpineAZ For This Useful Post:
Dondi52 (08-13-2011)