View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 12:07 AM   #3
(female)

Sallysmart HB User
Re: Squamous cell carcinoma

Thank you for your reply.

He will be getting 3 chemo treatments. I thought it was 2 but we had our chemo meeting yesterday and turns out they are three weeks apart (I thought 1 in third week and 1 in 6th week for some reason) They told us yesterday it is 1 in first week with first radiation, 1 in the end of third week and one in the 7th week of radiation and then he will be done.

They gave us a choice, (Doctor was not nice about that either!). He told us about cisplatin and how rough it is and basically said we don't have that much of a chance anyway. After scaring the hell out of us hubby said screw chemo and then he told us about a second choice which is far less aggressive and doesn't promise problems during and after the treatments are done, this one was carboplatin.

Supposedly with the cisplatin he needs to be hospitalized for risk of vomiting and being very sick (common) and there will be kidney issues, liver issues, neuropathy (common) and a whole whack of other creepy stuff to happen but the oncologist seemed to think it is the only choice we have. After hearing about the carboplatin when hubby said screw the cisplatin, (some of those vomit and other issues MAY happen and some lowered blood levels). Then we said we'll see ya later and we'd call when we make our decision. We are going with the carboplatin. His blood levels are all in great shape, numbers are as good as a healthy man so we think he has a great fighting chance.

Whats odd is we saw several people at the clinic and they all seemed to give us hope and yet this chemo doc took all that away in his first minute with us by rushing the cisplatin thing at us and telling us we had little chance. He was mean, to the point of telling us prognosis's of this kind of thing are low and then when we had questions he said he had other patients to get to (this after he made us wait almost 30 mins and he was in a room beside us the whole time plugging away on a computer)
Ok my rant is over, now after walking out of there with our guts all turned upside down we decided he is a jerk and we are doing better then his numbers anyway. Oh ya, we also asked if he would tell us what the blood tests counts were, He opened his folder and then closed it and said he'd give us a copy before we go home. That didn't happen so I phoned his nurse today and she read em off. We are going to get a release form done so they have to provide all we ask for now.

Anyway I am looking for both types of natural helpers, for immune system and cancer. I have him on lots of stuff already and the growth has stopped and one of the lymph node lumps is getting smaller, about half the size it was three weeks ago, He feels great other then the fact he has this tumor.
We picked up some MCP, (modified pectin) today and are starting on that. We have a week to see if we can get this stuff to help him along. It inhibits the colonization of cancer in other places and studies are showing it removes metals from the body.

Gotta header to bed soon so will check back in tomorrow, Have a great night all.