View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
(female)

CathyLou HB User
Re: 2nd surgery - positive for cancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinie View Post
I'm a little late on this, but wanted to see how you're doing? Did you have the second surgery or are they waiting for you to heal completely?

I went through the same thing back in May. My biopsy showed it was a follicular neoplasm and my ENT (along with a second and third opinion) said to only have 1/2 of my thyroid out, "chances are it's not cancerous". I pushed to have the entire thyroid out, but lost. Unfortunately, mine was cancer, a follicular variant of Papillary with hurthle cells. They waited 8 weeks and then did the second surgery on 7/25 and I'm healing nicely now. Just adjusting to the Synthroid at this point.
I did have the second surgery - one week ago so I'm feeling ok, just a little tired because they did not start any thyroid medication. I had papillary cancer on a 1.3 cm nodule (so glad it was not on the 6 cm nodule) and nothing on the right side of the thyroid. I saw the endo today and he had my
TSH tested and said I can receive the RAI treatment as soon as I went over 30. Today tested at 39.9. The note he left on my record (I guess since I just started the low iodine diet today) was to schedule the treatment in one week.