View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 12:25 AM   #4
maui_rayne HB User
Re: electric/shock sensation while falling asleep?

Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Could be myclonic jerks. They're scary but harmless, and stress can make it happen more often.

Thank you Jane for your reply, but I have had myclonic or hypnic jerks before and this is far more terrifying.... This is something all together different. It is not the feeling like I am falling and I jerk awake. This is very hard to describe and no one seems to understand..not even the DR.'s. I am going crazy.

This feels like I am dying and my body sends a signal to restart my heart.... I don't "jerk" from it. It is a sensation radiating from my chest area kinda like an electric pulse or buzz...that instantly wakes me up. I feel as if my heart stopped and I take a deep breath from pure fear. This happens over and over and over each time I am just drifting off to sleep. I can see how many people could say "hypnic jerk or myclonic jerk...or even sleep apnea....but this is something far more intense and terrifying. I have found a few people on here who are describing the same thing or very similar. I am waiting to see if they reply.

But I thank you very much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it.