View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
(female)

Lucky me HB User
Re: 2nd surgery - positive for cancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyLou View Post
I just had the left lobe of my thyroid removed two days ago. My surgeon just called to say that the original biopsy they did while I was in surgery was not correct and that they did find cancer. I have to go in next week and have the remainder of my thyroid removed. I wish this had showed up on because now I know how draining recovery is. The first surgery was supposed to take 1 1/2 to 2 hours and ended up taking 4 hours. I'm not looking forward to this. I was feeling so optimistic because Hashimoto's is so much more likely to cause benign tumors rather then cancerous.
Hi CathyLou... just joined the forum and hope your surgery went well. I went through a total thyroidectomy Nov 09 with a partial neck dissection. I'm sorry you have to go through this again, but at least you know what to expect. I had a weak voice for a while but that is b/c they may need to scrape your cords. Your voice will come back. Ensure you rest and allow yourself time to heal. Once you start synthroid or other synthetic thyroid medication you will feel better too. Keep a diary of your blodd tests and how you feel to help track what your dosage should be. I also take Vit D and B Complex to help keep my energy up. Hugs to you
donna