View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Calcaneus fracture/waiting for surgery

If you are waiting for surgery, your foot needs to be elevated 24/7. Do not move around more than you have to. That's the only way the swelling is going to come down well enough for surgery.

Politely tell your friends and family that if you had a sprain or something, you'd be hopping around to your heart's content, but with this injury, you really do need to keep still until you've had the surgery AND begun to recover. Your ER discharge paperwork probably says exactly that, if they don't believe you.

I remember after I had a much lesser injury (minor knee fracture) the worst day was when I had company. We wound up going out to dinner, and I was NOT up to being off the couch for that long. Then, my friend kept jostling my leg, even after I pointed out that it really hurt. They wanted to be helpful, but they didn't really understand the severity of the injury, and as a result just made things harder.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Wendy2shoes (09-10-2011)