View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #20
(male)

uga HB User
Re: Bilateral hypofunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by manybikes View Post
Hey Uga

Yep, the first year can really be tough to deal with but take heart in the fact that this is as bad as it gets, going forward it gets better, much better.

It took about two years before I felt confident driving in all conditions. Where I live in Canada winter presented a challenge. Imagine trying to drive on a freeway in a blinding snow storm...not easy. I started out by driving short distances in areas with very little traffic. I would always have my Wife with me just in case I needed help. We would often go for drives in the country away from city traffic. There were many times where I would have to pull over and have my wife take over driving as I would become exhausted and could not handle it. Driving on busy freeways and driving at night are the two hardest to adapt to. I used to navigate around the city initially by avoiding the freeways and using side streets, this way it gives you plenty of chances to pull over if you have to and the speeds are much slower....on a freeway this is not an option. It always took longer to get where I wanted to go but it was much safer.
I know what you mean about the oscillopsia....it is down right cruel! This does get much better Uga, your brain needs time to adapt.

Never be ashamed about having to use a cane when you are in busy public places, it's better than falling down. You will eventually no longer need the assistive devices but it takes a while.

I still do get the odd concentration lapse, they are very brief. I have no trouble reading a magazine or reading articles on the computer. I used to have a great deal of trouble reading, I would sometimes have to put my elbows on the table and hold my head so I could see the words. I have no problems now in that regard.

You are doing the right things Uga, it takes persistence, patience and a lot of hard work.

Thank you for the many kind words Uga.
I hope that my advice or encouragement helps you somehow. Keep me posted on your progress.

Cheers
Manybikes
manybikes:

was just thinking about you and wanted to say thanks for the help. Things are coming along slowly, but coming along ok.

here are some of my problems, concerns and questions.

I seem to get very very very very fatigued, i am hoping the fatigue improves over time, what was your experience?

manybikes:
i have trouble with large open spaces with big crowds and lots of commotion and noise, i often have to use a wheelchair in these places, i hate to give in, but i don't want to fall as i still have problems tracking fast moving objects. I am hoping this improves over some time. There are times i feel safer in a wheelchair becauese it give me a sense of security, safety and a sort of anchor. I feel bad, but sometimes i do use one if necessary, especially at sporting events, taking my kids to the carnavil ect.........

Manybikes:

i do the vrt for my bouncy vision, oscillopsia: how long before you started to see improvement in the oscillopsia? Does it still bother you? Can you read fine print or magazines such as sports illustrated and those type of things?

Daylight, not too bad, i could not imagine driving in the dark. Anything in the dark is tough.

manybikes: did the shower ever give you problems, closing your eyes and getting the soap out of the hair ect......... Can you close your eyes in such places or did you just learn to do it all with eyes open. It seems when i close my eyes i am very prove to falling.

thanks sooooooo much manybikes, you have helped me more than you will ever know.

uga