View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
(male)

TomM1956728 HB User
Stage 4 End of Life Issues

Hello,

My mother is 86 years old and has esophageal cancer which has spread to an area of her chest between her lungs.

My motherís doctor told us that she cannot be cured since the cancer has spread to her lymph nodes. But the Doctor said that he can ďsustain her.Ē

Over the past few months, Iíve gradually learned, and Iíve reluctantly had to accept the fact that the cancer will eventually take her away from us.

I wanted to ask a few questions about her condition.

1. What is the average length of time a stage 4 patient can survive? 1 year? 2 years? 3 years? 4 years?

2. What is the average length of time a stage 4 patient can survive after she has decided to stop treatment? 1 month? 2 months? 3 months?

3. When you decide to stop treatment, where do people generally go for the last month or two of their life for care? A nursing home? Hospital?

4. I read on the internet that a person will suffer quite a bit after stopping treatment before passing away, that he or she will vomit frequently, will have to endure a lot of pain, etc. Does anyone know what a person has to endure before passing away?

If anyone has some knowledge about any of the above issues, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.

I know this is not a pleasant subject to talk about, but it would greatly help me to know what to expect, and to see if itís possible to prepare in some way for what sadly seems inevitable.

Thank you very much for your kind help!

Tom

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: TomM1956728
seascanmper (10-06-2011), slenderella (09-17-2011)