View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: Stage 4 End of Life Issues

Tom,

I answered your other post and the questions you ask this time are hard to answer. Everyone is different and length of survival time would vary depending on how much it's spread and her ablility to eat, etc. Each family must make their own decisions on where they wish their loved ones to spend their final days. My husband and I decided that he should be at home as long as possible. If there is someone to be with your Mom, she would probably prefer to be at home where things are familiar. Hospice can be usually be requested to come to the home on some sort of schedule. Her doctor can help arrange this. As far as the vomiting, pain, etc. If she started to experience any of these symptoms there are medications that can be prescribed to keep her comfortable as she passes to the next life. That's what Hospice is for. She may have a very peaceful passing, so don't assume she'll be in horrible pain. My husband passed on in our bed with our dogs and me present. I wish you both peace and I'll be here if you want to talk anymore.