View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
(male)

Flaubert HB User
Re: How to talk so the surgeon will listen?

Allow me to say I feel very much identified with you!

I've had several sprains throughout the years, to the point where my last two (one on each ankle) were just from walking (the ankles didn't twist or anything).

At first many people (specially my mother) thought I was a wimp. Even I started to think it was all in my head. I'm usually reckless and irresponsible with my own safety, but I thought that maybe this time I WAS being a wimp.

However forcing my ankels only resulted in they hurting more, getting much more swollen and me being able to get less work done. Now I haven't been to clases in 3 weeks, and I risk losing the semester! But ever since I stopped walking and going to university my ankles have improved slightly. I think that if I had really taken good care of my ankles when they weren't THAT weak and vulnerable (when I could still walk), I'd be better off now.

And one of the things that's making it so difficult to get any doctor to understand the seriousness of this is that the MRIs say there's "no considerable damage"! So, I guess that more often than one would think, it's not that easy to get the doctor to REALLY listen to you.