View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: Alcohol Addiction? Please Help

Hello

Glad to meet you. :-)

Successful recovery involves withdrawaing from the drug, or alcohol, AND developing a plan that helps us to maintain our sobriety by changing our thinking. As addicts or alcoholics, we need lots of support in reaching and maintaining sobriety and restoration. Find and utilize every support you can... AA meetings, counseling, this board, friends and family, doctors. While we don't have to broadcast our problem to the world, we most definitely need to be totally open and honest with those who can help.

Alcoholism and addiction are both coping methods we use to hide from issues in our lives. Counseling is what helped me define the issues and learn to face them and then cope with them in much healthier ways. Quite honestly, the physical withdrawal was hard, but nowhere near as hard as facing my own demons. However painful that part of the journey may be, it is also awesome in that it is a time of great learning about ourselves and our approach to the world.

My suggestion is that you first find a doctor who will help you through the alcohol withdrawal. As you make that appointment, start writing down your plan and making plans for the support you will choose. Having a solid plan in place leads to a much greater chance for success.

Wishing you well
reach

Last edited by reachout; 09-20-2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: spelling

The Following User Says Thank You to reachout For This Useful Post:
Phoenix (09-20-2011)