View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
(female)

BayouGir1 HB User
Unhappy New here... Dad (78) has AML

A week ago we brought my Dad to the ER for extreme fatigue. To our shock, he was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia. He spent 8 days in the hospital, and honestly I thought the end was near he was just *so* weak and frail. Even he was telling me his last wishes and what he wanted at his funeral. Just two weeks ago he was riding his bike, cutting grass, completely independent, etc.

The oncologist does not recommend the "big" chemo for him due to his age and the high mortality rate in the elderly. Instead, she gave him very high doses of hydroxyurea to get his white cell count down and 3 pints of blood to increase the red cell count. To me, it is a small miracle as he is "back" and we came home from the hospital today. Still tired and short of breath, but no where near the death's door he seemed three-four days ago.

We know this is pallative care and not a cure. I have no idea how long this magic dose of meds will work or how often he will receive treatments yet. Or how long it will be before his decline. (seems to be anywhere from 5-8 months, to a year?) Dad has moved in with me and my family and we will do what it takes to care for him.

This is just all so new and life changing for all of us... I'm so overwhelmed.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: BayouGir1
bubblegirl (09-26-2011), slenderella (10-01-2011)