View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
(female)

helpXme HB User
bipolar boyfriend

I just really need advice

Long story short, I have been in a relationship with this guy for just over a month now. At first everything was perfect. He said I may be the one and was super sweet. Everything was great. Randomly he started getting kinda distant/not talking as much or being as affectionate. I asked him what was up and he said he was just having an episode with the Bipolar.Well one day things weren't going so well so I asked him if everything was okay. He told me something he doesn't think we are working but other times he does and he doesn't want to break up, that it is probably just in his head. About a week ago he started taking Lithium. I was visiting him and the first couple days he was fine, but then he became severely depressed. All he did was sleep,smoke and sometimes go on the computer. He didn't acknowledge me for 3 whole days when i was there (we live 3 hours away so we have scheduled visits by the way)when I was trying to be supportive, trying to talk to him/hug/ be there etc. I am very hurt and I am afraid now he is going to end it because he is being very short with me.

I was wondering if this is normal with bipolar people in relationships? And is it normal to become severely depressed when starting lithium? I feel like I am doing something wrong and I don't know if he is using depression as an excuse or is this normal? I thought me being there would make him happy?

Last edited by Administrator; 09-28-2011 at 12:50 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to helpXme:
tinkerbell45 (10-02-2011)