View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

dianajune HB User
Needs advice about weight loss surgery

I've been thinking about weight loss surgery but am not sure which one to go for. Bariatric surgery is very drastic, but I heard that the lap-band procedure isn't as bad.

Can anyone here advise me as to what would be the least-invasive and least-risky procedure?

I have a long and complicated medical history. Not only am I horribly overweight (well over 300 pounds), I had a borderline ovarian cancer in '04. Had to have a total hysterectomy for that due to the size of the mass. The prognosis for that is great and I didn't need chemo or radiation.

However, in '09 I had a strangulated hernia and bowel obstruction. The hernia repair has since failed because of my weight and an infection I developed afterwards. My right knee is in bad shape - I have arthritis in both of them but injured the right one late last year. So, I haven't been able to walk to help keep my weight down.

Today I found out that I gained nearly five pounds. I really need to do something, but what? I'm unable to exercise until my knee is taken care of. However, it's hard to find a surgeon who's willing to do a knee replacement for someone that's as heavy as I am.

So, if anyone out there has advice for me, I would appreciate it. Thanks!