View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 12:10 AM   #4
(female)

Lilacs&Lillies HB User
Re: Hydrocodone vs. Tramadol??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonteri66 View Post

If you aren't worried about the side effects of hydrocodone, I wouldn't think you'd be too concerned about tramadol. It does have acetaminophen in it, so be sure you do not drink any alcohol while using the drug.
To the best of my knowledge - Utram (Tramadol) does NOT have acetaminophen in it - but Ultracet does.

I have been using Ultram (Tramadol) for years in combination with Darvocet (now off the market) and Ibuprofen. Now that Darvocet is off the market (supposedly caused heart rhythm problems AND contained too much acetaminophen) I now use Tylenol #3, Ultram, & Ibuprofen.

Ultram (Tramadol) makes me much more tired than the opioids do. I usually use it at bedtime. Back when I was on Darvocet, I would use the ultram for about 2 weeks between my refills of the Darvocet. - this provided me only fair pain relief, but it helped me avoid the dependance on the opioid and I didn't have to go up to anything stronger.

I really miss the Darvocet, but I am thankful for Ultram. I think Ultram is a very good alternative.

Good luck with your pain control.