View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
(female)

nicumom2 HB User
End stages of COPD and Hospice

My 76 year old dad has COPD and is on oxygen 24/7. He also has congestive heart failure and his kidneys are failing. He has high blood pressure and is over weight. He has other things too...but these are the main health issues. His doctor said he is in the "end stages" of COPD. I don't know really what that means....I found out through a friend who works at a hospital that hospice will not come in to help your family unless the patient has 6 months or less to live...and you need a Dr. to sign an order that says so.
Well, my dads doctor will not sign this order and says he has more than 6 months....so I'm confused. My mom doesnt' think my dad will live to see summer.
My mom is 75 and is about to have surgery soon...her surgery will require 6 weeks recovery. she can't get up to help my dad or check on my dad. He takes his face mask off 4x or more a night..and she gets up to put it back on him. I live out out state and can't be there 24/7...but I can go for a week or 2. We have small kids in school. I am trying to explore options with hospice or some other facility.
This is a long rambling post and for that I'm so sorry. I never thought I'd be online in a thread about death and dying. It's such a sad fact of life.