View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
(female)

Sleepwalk HB User
Re: Post Nissen Fundoplication Issues

I read your story with interest and wonder how you're doing now. I've had super bad GERD since 2000 and finally got a Nissen Fundo on August 1 of thie year (2011). Like you, it seems to have fixed the acid refluxing up but I'm left with a myriad of strange symptoms which are not like anything the GERD ever did to me.

I don't want to ramble because I get very tired of relating my symptoms to doctors who look at me like I'm a brick shy of a full load and I get even more tired of telling friends and other interested parties that I "feel just fine". No one wants to hear it and I don't blame them. Heck, even "I" don't want to hear it.

In short, 4 months after my NF I'm doing everything you do but in addition I have something called "water brash" which the surgeon calls "inter-esophageal reflux".

We thought the wrap was too tight so it's already been stretched once. That lasted for 2 days and it fixed a lot of the esophagus pain and pressure and the reflux of food and water from within my esophagus was about 90% better but it didn't last. I'm back to where I started.

The dilation of the wrap site was preceded by two barium swallows one thin and one thick. They were both normal. Yet my food hangs up at the wrap site and so does water and medication and mucous from my head and throat.

It tastes bad, smells bad and it begins as soon as I lay down at night and has gotten worse with time after the Nissen. I cough and spit up every single morning that I awaken and it is very upsetting.

I'm on my way now to a new chiropractor who tells me it may be my Vagus Nerve. The surgeon also told me that it was probably my Vagus Nerve but the only thing he knew to try didn't help me.

I'm losing my spunk, if you know what I mean. I love to decorate. I don't have the energy. I had to quit my job. I can't taste my food and I have no appetite and I've lost a great deal of weight.

My gall bladder came out about 20 years ago and after Nissen instead of having diarrhea I now have constipation and diarrhea.

I hope the person I'm replying to will contact me. This is a very strange situation to be in. Oh, my throat is sore all the time and my chest feels as if someone is sitting on it. Someone overweight.

Replies are welcome if you have anything similar. I'm getting desperate.