View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
(male)

Mike1140 HB User
Prednisone induced diabetes

BACKGROUND: 42 year old male, 5'7", 240lb. Most recent blood test for routine physical in July showed glucose at 83 (fasting). Saw Orthopedist for unexplained ankle pain in Sept, X-Rays negative, followed up three weeks later and he put me on 10 day prednisone course and suggested I get a Rhuematological blood work up. Outside of my uric acid being 10% elevated, the Rheumy elements were in normal range but glucose came back at 245 (non fasting, sandwich for lunch 45 minutes before blood drawn). I revealed the prednisone when I first visited Rheumy but one week later when we discussed the results prednisone did not come up in conversation.

From a classic diabetes perspective, I have no fatigue, no frequent urination, no unexplained weight loss, no excessive thirst or hunger.

I have an appointment with my primary care physician in a couple of days to discuss at which point I am sure he will order a re-test (fasting).

QUESTION: How likely is it that the prednisone and recent eating before the blood was drawn caused a temporary spike in my glucose? Can the prednisone and recent eating spike it all the way to 245?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!