View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 01:47 AM   #16
(female)

nannaluvsu HB User
Re: Kidney Cancer Warriors Part Three

Hello everyone
As you can see, I am a newbie to this site. I was reading up on many of the threads on Kidney cancer when I ran across your threads.

My husband was diagnosed was a cancer called Chromophobe Renal Cell Carcinoma back in May of this year. This is supposedly an extremely rare type - striking only 1% of the world population; or so we have been told. It was actually found accidentally when tests were being run for an injury he had on the job. I guess we can thank God for the work injury occurring when it did - because one of his doctors informed us that had we not found it when we did - we probably would have lost him within six to eight weeks! On May 26th we were told he had the cancer - June 16th he was placed into the hospital - June 17th they performed a procedure to block off the blood supply to the tumor in hopes of shrinking it before they tried to remove it due to the massive size of it - then June 21st, they did the actual nephrectomy to remove the right kidney and tumor. We were told the tumor weighed 4.8 lbs. Amazingly to everyone - we cannot figure out how he did not feel this thing expanding inside him! He then spent until July 5th in the hospital due to the extent to his surgery - and some complications that arose with blood clots after the surgery.

As many of you are aware - this was a very stressful period. Unfortunately, after completion of the surgery, they informed us that they could not get all of it out due to the massive size of it - as well as the fact the lesions were found on the L3 and T11 vertebrae of his spine. He went through 10 treatments of radiation to target the pain in his spine - although we are truly not sure if most of the pain was from the cancer or the work injury. After completion of these treatments - he has now begun Terisol treatments. AS of the upcoming Wednesday, he will be doing his fourth treatment.

It has been told to us a couple of times that this is supposed to be a slow growing cancer - but, during an appointment with the oncologist on Thursday of last week - we were informed that it has spread some already - though no explanation of how much. However, after reading the report - it is planned to schedule another appointment this week to get some answers to determine if our understanding of the reports are as bad as we think after my researching some of the information.

Anyway - as all of you are caregivers of others fighting their own battles - I know you understand my stress some days - as well as the fears that cross my mind from time to time - and trying to keep up with working a full time job - keeping bills paid (especially until the disability income begins coming in on a regular basis) - and the house work that must be done. Not to mention - we also have a 25 year old son with numerous health issues of his own that must be assisted with (end stage renal disease - on dialysis three times per week and awaiting transplant; thyroid cancer found when they had to remove his parathyroid due to issues that arose from the kidney disease; begun having seizures, and last - but not least - had to have the aortic valve in his heart replaced two weeks ago.

Some days I feel like I'm gonna lose my mind - My employer has not really been as supportive as some would hope. Rather than asking how I or my family is doing - the upper management has my immediate supervisor discuss how important attendance is; and that the more I am out, the more other employees have to pick up the slack while you are out. Then, When our son got put back in the hospital - and we learned of his required heart surgery - I went to work and informed the immediate supervisor that I may be called away if something happens when they are completing the procedure to check out all of the valves in our son's heart - in an effort to insure that they would only have to do the one valve. Well – wouldn’t you know it - I'm at work two hours - and I get a call saying he's being put into ICU due to complications after the procedure. Well, some of the management was not too happy when they learned I had left early again that day. Luckily - my immediate supervisor is a very wonderful person - and is willing to keep me informed when there could be issues. Needless to say - things continued badly on the job - and I broke! Now, my doctor has me out on stress leave to top it all off!!!

Anyway -- sorry for the rambling - and I realize this is support for those who care for loved ones with kidney cancer - so, my ramblings regarding the rest do not fit - but, I hope you don't mind. I just needed to vent and get it off my chest. Kinda hard to talk to some friends - as they work in the same place - can't really talk to our kids and say some of the things I need to - and don't want to ramble to my husband too much - or he will be up trying to do more than he can -- just to try to help me when he thinks I need it - rather than resting when he has become fatigued and should stop.

Well --- enough is enough! Again - my apologies for the rambling. I hope you will not hold it against me - and allow me to speak to some of you when I need a listener. I promise I will do my best to make sure that I don't ramble any more - and that my replies will not be books!

The following user gives a hug of support to nannaluvsu:
lilsis1071 (11-19-2011)