View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
(female)

rocketshipsarah HB User
What is happening to me? Am I depressed or is it something else?

It's been kind of a hard year for me, to say the least. But the thing is, I haven't had anything particularly bad happen to me lately- no family crises, no really horrible experiences, no nothing. However, it's an entirely different story emotionally. I think I'm depressed, but I'm not really sure. There are periods that last for a couple of weeks or so where I'm completely broken. Any bad feelings I have are elevated, I'm always tired, and I feel hopeless and worthless and completely alone. During those times, I'm sure I have depression. But then, the feelings slowly improve and within a few days, I'm happy. I'm not exactly on top of the world, but I'm normal and can function without constant sadness. I know it's not PMS either, because there does not seem to be any triggers except stress, and even that's a bit of a stretch. I'm thinking that that could maybe be a cause, what with GPA and SAT and college worries.

But I just don't know what to do with myself anymore. Can depression be on-and-off, or is it something else entirely? And what should I do about it?

I know I should see a therapist or something, but that brings me to yet another issue. I don't know how to talk about my problems very well. I'm sure I could do it to a psychologist, but when I try and tell my friends or my parents about it, I freeze up. So as much as I think therapy would help, I don't know how to tell someone that I need it.