View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #18
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: What are your expectations for longevity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tariq456 View Post
In addition, [the study] found that lifestyle plays almost no factor in health and longevity after the age of 80, and that almost everything in advanced age is due to genetic factors.
That's really strange. I totally believe the first part, that lifestyle is the all important factor. It's the second part that I have a problem with. Perhaps more information is needed to understand why lifestyle is no longer important after age 80. I would think that lifestyle gets more important as one gets older.

Some examples:

1) Muscle-mass steadily declines with age and if you neglect them through lack of exercise, at any age, there will likely be health conscequences.

2) As people get older, they usually have increasing difficulty absorbing vitamins, including the conversion of sunlight to vitamin D3. So it seems that they would need to pay increasing attention to this issue and continue eating healthfully, or healthier, as they get older.

3) The risk for mental decline increases with age, so staying mentally active, at any age, seems to be as important as exercising one's muscles. Remember the old saying: "Use it or lose it."

I would think the laws of physics stay the same throughout the duration of one's life. If anything, more careful attention to lifestyle is needed as one grows older.