View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
(female)

dbast HB User
Re: Here we go again.....

I'm very sorry to hear all of this. I haven't been on here in a while, but last I heard you were going through I guess what was the first go round with the distraction. It just seems so bizarre that there is nothing out there to really fix the ankle. I'm 36, and to have my OS tell me that I am screwed was a real eye opener, to say the least. I was not prepared to hear any of this. It's probably irrelevant at this point, but I would like to know what caused this to happen in my ankle as there has never been any real trauma to it. I've never broken it or even sprained it to my knowledge.
Where did you have the distraction done? I have done a lot of reading on the Hospital for Special Surgeries in NY. Being in KY, I don't think there is anywhere here that does it. Not sure that this is what I would go for, but from all the reading I have done, it seems like that would be a better 1st choice as it doesn't hinder doing anything afterwards...as far as fusion/replacement. My allograft didn't completely incorporate, so that makes me a little weary of even considering the total joint allograft. Hopefully I am looking into things now that I can hold off doing for a long time, but I can't help but look and research everything. People around me that don't know what this feels like say "just don't worry about it now".....that's a little easier said than done. I am really hoping that the removal of scar tissue, hardware and damaged cartilage will help with the everyday pain for a while. I am having trouble right now getting my mentality right with starting to walk from this surgery. He said I could, but cautioned to take it very slowly and to use the dreaded boot. But I can't seem to do it. I still have 17 staples in, and I really think there is a mental block there because of them. I have tons of questions floating around in this head of mine, but I can't seem to put them together when I need to. One is, with the diagnosis of severe arthritis, would it help at all to start taking some form of arthritis meds....Tylenol Arthritis, Glucosamine, etc? I think my OS has done a pretty good job of explaining what's going on in there and listing options, but should I get a second opinion from another OS?