View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
(female)

Beelucious HB User
Acne since the age of nine, now 22 years old - need to vent.

I have suffered from an aggressive strain of Acne since the age of nine, it started with mild Acne flares in the fourth grade and soon progressed to full body Acne by the time I was twelve ( before I had even had a menstrual period) my face, neck, upper and lower back as well as my entire chest cavity was covered with deeply inflamed nodules that multiplied every single day, I would literally be breaking out every few hours and by the time I came home from school my face and neck would be covered in new lesions. By the time I was thirteen I was seen by a dermatologist and prescribed a round of topical creams in various strengths and forms which I used religiously, when those failed I was then put on three different types of birth control all to no effect, then Tretracycline, and when I was fourteen I started my first trial of Accutane which lasted over sixth months and like so many other therapies also failed (zero improvement). By this time it was then suggested that my Acne was possibly ''hormonal'' in origin as opposed to bacterial, I was given rigorous testing by endocrinologists to check for hormonal imbalances in my blood (excess of Androgens inquiry) and ultrasounds to check for Pollycystic ovaries - nothing was found, my periods were regular like clock work, no cysts, no excess of Androgens, nothing was abnormal.

Then when I was seventeen I was put back on Accutane two more times to no avail, and then was sent to a food allergist to check to see if any unknown food allergies or candida overgrowth were responsible for causing this resistant strain of Acne - still nothing was found, my diet was flawless I had been Vegan since the age of thirteen (no eggs, no milk and zero fatty foods) and ate mostly vegetables so they really couldn't conclude anything over that either. By that time I had turned to expensive skin creams and pricey serums, lotions, moisturizers, high end makeup and had bought the Proactive system a total of 60 times between the ages of 12 and 19 and other various acne systems, liquid diets, supplements, put in an Acne study conducted in Toronto by several dermatologists, still nothing ever worked for me the Acne seemed to get stronger and more aggressive by the day and no one could ever tell me why. I continued to see different Endocrinologists, receive ultrasounds ( to check for any rising signs of PCOS), even had an MRI performed to check for a pituitary adenoma in my brain but yet nothing has ever surfaced as the cause. I also have Hirsutism and struggle constantly with my weight despite eating only raw foods yet my periods are totally regular and there's never any signs of Androgens in my blood tests or saliva analysis so I can't meet the criteria for any syndrome, I had even been prescribed Spironolactone for a year, which is an anti-androgen drug that they thought they would try on me because it was theorized even though I didn't have elevated Androgens that possibly I just had ''hormonal sensitivity'' and that the drug could be used to block all androgen receptors - Almost a year later I've had zero improvement from this drug. I'm now 22 years old am still covered in Acne from practically head to toe, and have totally given up, at my wits end - I have done everything, seen everyone yet no answers are ever given to me, fair to say I'm drowning in immense despair. Can anyone else relate to this! what is wrong with me.

Last edited by Beelucious; 12-24-2011 at 04:54 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Beelucious:
MG098 (12-26-2011)