View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
Re: Here we go again.....

I remember you for when we were doing OATS.

Like Kim, I also had distraction last year with Dr. C in Baltimore. We knew before the year was over it did not go well. In fact, after the distraction I ended up with osteomyelitis from the fixator in my tibia as well as RSD which spread to my entire left leg after the osteomyelitis surgery. The fixator led to RSD which led to a spinal cord stimulator in my back, only to be removed 13 days later due to a MRSA infection. All that from the external fixator and disctraction.

On Dec. 6th I just had a STAR ankle replacement (43 yrs old) and a subtalar fusion. It was the hardest surgery I've ever been through, and I'm still in a cast, but it was my only option. My OS actually wanted to do an amputation, but with the RSD I worried about wearing a prosthesis.

Kim and I feel your pain! How old are you? There are dr.s who will do replacement on younger people. Have you gone to Duke?