View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User
Re: Pain managment of an Opiod addicted person

First off, all good advice given but I thought I would point out one item I know of first hand. So, on my most recent doc visit/oxy refill, I hit a snag. Since I saw my doctor after three weeks and not the usual four (I should have seen him on 12/29 but their office is closed that week). So on 12/1 he gave me a script for a 3-week period or 90 pils (not the usual 4-week, 120 pills). So, I show up at the pharmacy now trying to fill my script for 120 pills but Aetna's policy now says, up 120 pill limit in a 30-day window and I was violating that rule. I started to scramble, freak out etc. I was out of medicine at this point and could not walk out of the pharmacy with no medicine. The pharmacy would only fill 30 pills on that day, so the 120 pill script would lose the other 90 pills.

So, during all this confusion I asked the doctor what I would have to pay out-of-pocket to outright buy the medicine. Not to mention, I wouldn't get what amounts to as "Aetna's discount" in trying to buy this medicine that day. He told me it would cost $1,946 to buy. That, my friend, was not doable in any manner at all! So, what I ended up doing was filling the script for the 30 pills and thankfully the doctor was willing the following morning to write a script dated one week later for 120 pills. I had to bring in the bottle I got and the bag with all the refill info on it. I was told by Aetna that this would work.

What a major pain in the butt. I realize as a pain patient taking the level of medicine I do that sometimes life can be difficult but that was one seriously rough day. Not to mention the fact that I have had neck pain so bad the past two days, I haven't been able to sleep very well. I had to move to the couch last night to sleep on a heating pad and I ended up finally falling asleep but I woke up drenched with sweat! It had felt like I was being hit by a baseball bat every 2-3 seconds in the back of my neck (throbbing pain). Makes it a little difficult to fall asleep.

Anyway, I got a little carried away in letting you know how much this stuff really costs. I wish all of us CP sufferers a better day tomorrow than today!