View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User
Re: Was it a stroke? Now seizures...

Hi Jennalyn,
I am so sorry to hear about your father. I know that the uncertainty is very hard to deal with. I know you are worried and that is understandable so I hope I can ease your mind a little. Quickly about me - I had a major stroke in 2010 and this year I was diagnosed with epilepsy as a symptom from my stroke, so all of those tests your father has been through I am very aware with. It sounds like a stroke is out because of all the tests. In my case the stroke was easily seen as a black spot on my brain from an MRI. People can have TIA's (mini strokes) that do not show on MRI film, but are a warning of a major stroke. And even TIA's can cause temporary confusion and paralysis.

From what you wrote, in my opinion your father may have the onset of epilepsy. I am not a doctor obviously, but I have learned a lot through my own experiences. The good thing is that it is found early. For you, I would not be worried about the Ativan they are giving to him. I am sure he must be sedated while they are trying to figure out what is wrong. They don't want him to have a grand mal seizure. He will hurt himself even in the hospital if that happens. Apparently epilepsy is a hard thing to diagnose. I had 4 grand mal seizures 3 trips to ER and weeks of hospital stays and tests until a neurologist finally figured out I have epilepsy and it was caused by me stroke.
Now I am on medication that control my seizures. They are very strong can make me spaced out at times, but I am getting used to it.

As far as your father goes. Find a good neurologist. That is the only way that I finally go some results and satisfaction after seeing dozens of different kinds of doctors. Even that neurologist took months to find a diagnoses of epilepsy, but he is the only Dr. that finally got it right. When dealing with the brain there a so many variables, that you really have to find the best one that knows what he is talking about. About the Ativan. My doctor gave me a very strong script. Not to take everyday, but have with me all the time and if a feel a seizure coming on to take it, if there is not water, just chew it. And you know I have had to use it a few times. They are called triggers that warn you before a seizure. A trigger could be anything to each person. Mine, I start feeling dizzy and I can't talk. I try to talk, but it is like my brain is frozen. Some other ones I have heard are tastes of rhubarb, smelling like something burning, or listening to music that isn't there. Your dad's headache could have been a trigger too. Can you ask him if he remembers anything unusual before his seizure? Like a taste or smell? That may help pinpoint things down if that is the case.

Jennalyn, I am not saying he has epilepsy at all. I don't know. Just some of the things you wrote sounded very similar to some things that have happened to me. Whatever happens I wish you well and you father as well. I hope you get some resolve soon. Let me know if I can help, and I will try if I can.
God Bless,
Tim

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 12-28-2011 at 10:45 AM.