View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Need advice - Hysterectomy or not????

There are no stupid questions! You have every right and reason to want to be well informed before you have a surgery like a hysterectomy.
I have no uterus, no cervix, one ovary. I was orgasmic before the surgery and am equally orgasmic now, after. I had absolutely NO negative side effects from the hysterectomy other than an abdominal scar...and maybe you won't even have to have
an incision like that....it is for your doctor to decide. I obviously have no more pain or bleeding issues and since I am not bleeding all the time I am also not anemic anymore.
I felt like such a prisoner to my heavy bleeding...the quality of life was just not there for me anymore.
My recovery went great. I had a small amount of pain in the hospital, stayed three days, if I remember correctly (this is because it was an abdominal incision) and then only took one Percocet on the day I got back home and afterwards only Advil. Three weeks later I prepared Thanksgiving dinner! I didn't lift anything, but was certainly well enough to enjoy all of the cooking. I was 46 when I had my hysterectomy and my fibroids were a "wait and see" for six years prior. If only I had a magic ball I would have done my surgery the first time I was told I had fibroids. It was the difference between a laparoscopic procedure and an abdominal one.

happy new year! Sue