View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 01:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: 2 weeks into being diagnosed with UC

hi..do you know the extent of your UC...meaning is it throughout or limited (to where)?

Just a basic thing about UC flaring...it starts at the rectum and continues upward. It heals from up to downward, so the rectum will be the first and the last....think of a thermometer and the bulb area the rectum.

When one has inflammation, it comes in incriments, one of which is the most obvious of diarrhea, bleeding, multiple bms, urgency, pain upon having bms, etc.

Diarrhea usually happens when the inflammation is extended to high in the rectum/sigmoid and above.

If your bms are more formed or soft and you're having less bms...that inflammation would more than likely be a result of starting to heal and the limitation being in the rectum, or very mild inflammation above and more intense in the rectum.

You're on Asacol HD...it's an oral topical med that is dispursed into the colon. But it won't treat the rectum effectively.

You should get back to the GI and request mesalamine retention rectal meds. If you're in Canada, that would be Salofalk, if you're in the US, that would be Rowasa or generic mesalamine.

The both ends approach is very effective...that's all I've used in 23 years.

Recognise these symptoms, for once all is going nicely and your flare is finished, they could be what you should notice when you're starting to flare the next time.

These are symptoms that many miss because they aren't the most obvious. But like I said, if all is good and a flare is starting... constipation, excessive gas/bloating, rectal discomfort, mucous, etc would mean a flare is happening...it's just limited to the rectum at that point.

Think the thermometer going upwards.

Now not all have full extensive inflammation, and if you treat flares early with the rectal meds, your flares will be much less intent. The goal for me is to keep them limited to the lower rectum.

q

The Following User Says Thank You to quincy For This Useful Post:
SickinNJ (01-04-2012)