View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User
Re: Mom re-broke her other hip and is now on Hospice

I remember when your mom broke the second hip. My mom broke her hip and my biggest fear was that she would do it again and if so we were prepared to do nothing. Unlike your mom or Deb's, my mom did feel pain. We talked to the head nurse at mom's facility and she told us that if it ever did happen again and we chose to not have it surgically repaired, what would happen is that mom would be in bed and hospice would manage her pain and that the end would not come from not eating or drinking but probably from pneumonia due to laying in a bed all the time. Again, knowing Hospice would manage her comfort, we were ready to let her go. Love her enough to let her go. We knew it is what she would choose for herself. Luckily she never did break that second hip!! She died last July in her bed with us and Hospice by her side. Hospice knows their stuff!

You have certainly been through it with your mom and she is fortunate to have you and your brother. How and whenever the end comes, and whatever decision is made for her, know you were there for her and did the best you could for her. That will give you peace of mind when the time comes.

Love, Meg