View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: Totally new to hyperthyroidism

I realized I should share what a thyroid-savvy endo should be saying.

Firstly, he/she should be asking about your symptoms.

He/she should review your test results. He/she should make sure that you have had all of the bloodwork I recommended. If not, he/she should order them.

He/she should explain to you just what is going on with your body and, if Graves' disease has already been confirmed, he/she should explain the 3 treatment options (anti-thyroid drugs, RAI or surgery).

And, truly, he/she should suggest anti-thyroid drugs as first-line treatment since it's entirely possible to join the 80-90% of Graves' patients that go into remission.

If you already had the full complement of bloodwork I suggested and, it confirms hyperthyroidism (both FreeT4 and FreeT3 levels above-range), he/she should start you on an anti-thyroid drug - either Tapazole/methimazole or PTU.

He/she should tell you to divide your dose into two/day if you are taking Tap/meth or 3/day if you will be taking PTU.

Unless your levels are insanely elevated, your Tap/meth dose should be no higher than 20mg (and probably more like 10mg) or your PTU dose 100-200mg.

He/she should tell you to have your levels checked 6 wks. after starting meds.

If only your FreeT3 level is over-range, you should be started on a beta-blocker and nothing else.

Of course, the cause of your hyperthyroidism should be confirmed and the only way to definitively confirm/rule out Graves' is with that TSI antibody test.

I'm not sure if you had an uptake scan or not. Truly, it is unnecessary. A thyroid ultrasound coupled with the recommended bloodwork will give you more accurate information.

It would be a good idea for you to read "Thyroid for Dummies" written by endo Dr. Alan Rubin. It provides really good, basic information...and confirms that anti-thyroid drugs can safely be taken for life, if necessary.

If the doctor tells you otherwise, I highly suggest you find another doctor to treat you.