Thread: Time line
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #16
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: Time line

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmum54 View Post
Hi BlueSkies, thanks, I hope this does help others face the realizm of the Social security system. It was a tough battle, 6 long years, that caused the end of my marriage, with all the stress. I ate through my retirement, lost my house, couch surfed, with 2 kids in tow.
there was no way I could work, i did try a couple times, but fell ill and lost my jobs. I really hurt for those folks that are disabled, with no family or savings, that is even harder.

We are great now, i got Backpay SSD for the whole 6 years.I was lucky I made 50,000 a year in the printing business for 25 years, so i paid into a lot of SSD.
I woke up one morning, checked my bank account, and 121,000 was in my account, YEPEE, still makes me happy. I bought a new SUV, got a condo, paid all past due bills, and put a little aside for kids college fund. I really think thats why SS fought me so long, did not want to pay me a monthly benefit of this amount.

So folks there is a light at the end of the tunnel, do not give up, you can't afford it.
Fantastic story stepmum54 and great outcome. My backpay came to over $70K but I owed a nice chunk of it back to my LTD carrier. I was just happy to get approved. It is a great financial stress reliever.

You just had the CDR, right stepmum? It is so hard to keep track of things and people here who post to this board regulary unless you go back and re-read old posts.

I was also making about the same as you, $50K per year for 25 years when I just could no longer continue. Your timeline should show people that you must stick to your guns. SSDI can be a long, very treacherous road with many twists and turns and look at what all that stress did to your life. I love stories like yours with happy endings.

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 01-09-2012 at 03:02 PM.