Thread: new, 40+, lost
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: new, 40+, lost

When I started therapy I wasn't thinking of whether I could trust my therapist or not so much as whether he would be able to help me or not. I was very depressed when I first started therapy so I think that made me much more willing to accept the risk of asking for help and putting my trust in someone.

If you do decide to go into therapy I suggest starting small like saying your life has been falling apart and you would like to change that. You could even tell him or her upfront that you have difficulty with trusting people. I think a good therapist will respect you and not push you when you feel uncomfortable with talking about something. Depending on how the conversation goes I think you can gauge whether the therapist is compatible with you and whether you would like to see him or her for another session.