View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
(female)

Twixt HB UserTwixt HB User
Re: How can I tell if stomach symptoms are pointing to GI problems or possibly OC?

Hi Leogurrrl,

I hope you've had a great weekend!

Yeah, the waiting has definitely been the hardest part for me - a lot of January has been a write-off for me. Things are getting better now, but I've had lots of days where I've had trouble concentrating at work, and I've had lots of worry-filled evenings. Luckily I'm feeling *slightly* better and less anxious now

In answer to your question about why the radiologist wants me to get an MRI instead of a CT scan, I'm not sure. They couldn't quite identify the mass on the ultrasound (at least according to the report from two ultrasounds ago - I still haven't seen what was written on the latest report), and so as far as I know they've ordered the MRI to take a closer look at the mass.

In terms of why they've ordered an MRI versus a CT scan, I'm guessing (and hoping) that they don't suspect cancer, so they want to avoid exposing me to the radiation of a CT scan if they don't have to.

But again, I'm just guessing on the rationale. All I know is that I've got a persistent ovarian mass that has shown up on two consecutive ultrasounds, and that it doesn't resemble either a corpus luteum cyst or a hemmoraghic cyst, and that they want me to get an MRI (and that I still don't know when that MRI will be).

In terms of your other question, I haven't read any connection between esophagitis/inflamed stomach and ovarian cancer. As far as I know, ovarian cancer doesn't cause symptoms in the upper part of the GI tract. Anything I've read (RE: GI symptoms and ovarian cancer) have more to do with the lower part of the GI tract - issues with the large intestine and colon, for example, and not the esophagus or stomach.

But again, I'm not an expert - I've just read large amounts ever since I've started having these health issues.

Seeing a second GI doctor - like you've mentioned you're doing - is probably a good idea. Especially if the meds you were taking have stopped working, it's a good idea to start exploring other options, and to try to get to the bottom of things.

Also, if you decide to see a new GI doctor, don't forget to take with you a list of symptoms you've had, and any pressing questions you have for them - if you write everything down, it'll help make sure you don't forget to mention anything important during your appointment.

All the best!

Twixt

Last edited by Twixt; 01-15-2012 at 05:37 PM.