View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
(male)

BillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB User
Re: Palmar erythema and normal blood work

Hi Momjenny, I developed palmar erythema AFTER I quit drinking myself, and also have normal liver enzymes and other blood work results.

My blood pressure spiked up quite high the month after I quit alcohol and this is when the PE appeared. I too have looked high and low for an explanation, and no one seems to know exactly where it comes from.

I have read about it being possibly related to estrogen, and that it can occur in normal pregnancies, as well as a possible link with high blood pressure.

Best not to stress out over what we can't change now, and hope for the best. Even if we have some liver issues going on, avoiding alcohol seems to give a good prognosis for those who catch it at an early stage.

My concerns about liver disease have lead me into a lot of research on this matter, and there are some remarkable studies regarding the effects of diet on the development and progression of liver disease.

A few things you might want to look into...

Coffee drinkers seem to have far fewer problems with fibrosis and cirrhosis than folks who don't drink coffee. Google around on: coffee and cirrhosis, and read all about it. Coffee won't dissolve fibrosis you already have, but it may slow progression of fibrosis yet to come.

Lecithin (aka phosphatidylcholine), and choline, both found in large amounts in EGGS, seem to be a liver's favorite food/nutrients and are often mentioned regarding liver health. Search: Lecithin and Liver for more info on this. Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day if you've got liver issues, and coffee and eggs should be frequent fliers on your menu.

Polyunsaturated fats and oils are supposed to be good for your heart, but they oxidize very easily in the liver, and livers actually prefer saturated fats (real butter, not margarine; avoid deep fried foods). Learn more about "lipid peroxidation" and the dangers of polyunsaturated fats.

IRON can be a very powerful pro-oxidant in the liver (where iron is stored) if iron storage levels get too high, and excess iron should be avoided if you are not anemic or pregnant. Avoid supplements containing iron unless your doctor says you absolutely need to keep on taking them.

Time is now on your side... If you're worried about your liver, learn more about it, and this knowledge will give you peace of mind.

Good Luck and GodSpeed to you!

Last edited by BillinSD; 01-15-2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: typo