View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
(female)

leogurrrl HB User
Re: How can I tell if stomach symptoms are pointing to GI problems or possibly OC?

Hi, Twixt............I'm glad you are getting an MRI. I actually prefer the MRI just because of the whole radiation issue, though I've never been offered one throughout all of this (and I'm not sure, honestly, what one sees that the other doesn't, I just trust that the doctor thinks the CT is what I needed). I've had MRIs years ago for some totally unrelated issues, and was freaked out by the tight quarters, but I would much, much rather do that than have a CT scan, it just hasn't been what my docs have ordered for my particular situation. I do hope you get some answers.

My confusion with the GI issues and OC is that on several lists I have seen indigestion as a symptom, and that's why I have somehow tried to connect the two. I do think because of the severity of it and the less-severe other symptoms, it likely is a separate and unrelated GI issue. Also the fact it is going on now for fifteen months........from what I understand OC progresses pretty quickly. I do think I am barking up the wrong tree the longer this goes on.

Thanks for the suggestions on my second GI visit. Do you recommend that I take my records and test results from the other, or 'start fresh' and let the new doc form his own conclusions? I never really know what to do about that.

I hope you have had a stress-free and worry-free weekend. This has actually been one of the first weekends I have had in a while without extreme worry - mainly because my symptoms have eased up a bit. I have been in turmoil over the last few months to the point of having some severe emotional issues. Don't know if I mentioned it, but I am also going to see a therapist to help me cope with some of the emotional aspects of this. I go there in another couple of weeks. Good thing it's not an emergency with some of these things, as long as it takes one to get an appointment '''

Thank you for being such a great cyber-friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixt View Post
Hi Leogurrrl,

I hope you've had a great weekend!

In answer to your question about why the radiologist wants me to get an MRI instead of a CT scan, I'm not sure. They couldn't quite identify the mass on the ultrasound (according to the report from two ultrasounds ago - I still haven't seen what was written on the latest report), and so as far as I know they've ordered the MRI to take a closer look at the mass.

In terms of why they've ordered an MRI versus a CT scan, I'm guessing (and hoping) that they don't suspect cancer, so they want to avoid exposing me to the radiation of a CT scan if they don't have to.

But again, I'm just guessing on the rationale. All I know is that I've got a persistent ovarian mass that has shown up on two consecutive ultrasounds, and that it doesn't resemble either a corpus luteum cyst or a hemmoraghic cyst, and that they want me to get an MRI (and that I still don't know when that MRI will be).

In terms of your other question, I haven't read any connection between esophagitis/inflamed stomach and ovarian cancer. In terms of GI issues, sometimes they can be caused by intolerances to certain foods, or totally different causes.

But again, I'm not an expert - I've just read large amounts ever since I've started having these health issues.

Seeing a second GI doctor - like you've mentioned you're doing - is probably a good idea. Especially if the meds you were taking have stopped working, it's a good idea to start exploring other options, and to try to get to the bottom of things.

Also, if you decide to see a new GI doctor, don't forget to take with you a list of symptoms you've had, and any pressing questions you have for them - if you write everything down, it'll help make sure you don't forget to mention anything important during your appointment.

All the best!

Twixt