View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
(female)

24kbear HB User
Re: How can I tell if stomach symptoms are pointing to GI problems or possibly OC?

Hello, leogurrl...

I, too, have had GI problems that have gone away for years and come back. You may have read my post about Gastroenteritis and Ovarian Cysts? I really find it very "coincidental" that I have never had ovarian pains in my life (during ovulations) but in the past 3 years when I'm not supposed to be ovulating (b/c I have a Mirena IUD) that the two times I have been in the ER due to gastroenteritis, I've had ovarian pains (this last one was confirmed as a cyst in a CT scan). I asked the GYN if there is a relation and he was QUICK to say not at all. He did give me an ultrasound and the cyst had already shrunk from 2.8cm to 0.9 cm in a little over a week, so that is good news. He did not do an annual exam, so I think I'm going to schedule it with a different GYN and ask her if there is a relation.

Do you have other symptoms other than burning? I normally do not, but the week prior to being admitted into the ER (on both occasions) I had lower left groin pain and excessive gas where I am VERY bloated and is not helped with GasX. This is why I don't believe I had "food poisoning" during those times...normally, you get symptoms 2-8 hrs within eating the bad food. I would go with your normal DR or GI DR since you already went to the GYN. If the normal DR thinks there is too much of a coincidence, then he/she can refer for certain tests from the GYN.

Hope this helps!