View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
(female)

New Foster Mom HB User
Need to learn about CP

Hi Everyone, I am a new foster mom and my foster baby may have CP. Doctor's have not made the diagnoses yet but he is receiving early intervention services, including PT, several days a week. I am hoping to get 1st hand advice on how to help my new little boy! He is 16 months old and can not sit without support, he has interludes of stiffness in his legs and arms, but at other times he seems quite relaxed. He concentrates so hard when trying to reach for things. He is mostly unsuccessful at retrieving objects because his hands are usually fisted and open at the wrong times to grab at things. But, he is very aware and smart. He can tract things, he knows faces and names and can look at the toy that you name. He just seems trapped in a body that isn't working very well. He can get bored and frustrated because he is unable to do the things he would like to but is generally very happy. My heart is just aching for my little guy. What can I do to help him? How can I help him to communicate? To sit up? His PT does some stretching with him, but I don't feel it's doing enough. I keep massaging his hands open and trying to help him to grasp things. He is very small for his age, just turned 18 lbs. Can anyone suggest appropriate toys for him or equipment. I have a jumperoo and a bumbo chair. He can hold his head up for short periods of time but then he slumps over, usually to the right side. Any advice or suggestions would be so helpful.
Thanks a bunch!!