View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
(female)

sillygal HB Usersillygal HB User
Re: Hypothyroidism Mimic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdiluca View Post
Has your pituitary functions been tested? As to a mimic, what symptoms are you experiencing?
No, I don't think my pituitary has been tested. I did mention that to my endocrinologist but he said that pituitary problems are "very rare." Anyway, my symptoms are kind of all over the place but here's a list.
-Internal Tremors
-Heart Palpitations
-Fatigue
-I can hear/feel my joints cracking frequently when I'm moving
-Memory Problems/Cognitive Problems
-Low Body Temp (usually around 96.9 when I wake up)
-Hair and Nails growing extremely slowly
-Hair on head is dry, brittle and thin. (Natural hair texture is very fine, soft, and curly)
-Bad Acne that started around onset of all other symptoms (never had bad acne before)
-Random areas of hyperpigmentation on back of legs and left hand. It isn't raised, itchy, or bumpy, just dark as if someone drew on me with black magic marker. My dermatologist was confused by it.
-I get the "pins and needles" sensation rather frequently all over my body.
-Sometimes I get this feeling of pressure in my head like it's full of water or something. (Sorry, don't know how else to explain it...)
-Vitamin Deficiencies shown in Vitamin D, Selenium, and Folate if that matters...
-Throat feels hoarse a lot, voice is deeper a bit?
-Insomnia
-Weight gain than I am unable to control using healthy eating and exercise. Only time I have ever lost weight at a normal rate was eating 600 cals/day. (Only did this for two weeks out of curiosity, obviously could not/would not continue this) I am 5'4'' and 170 now with large frame.
-Had a Sed Rate done was at 34 (Range <20)
-Had a 24 hr Cortisol done, was elevated at Morning and Afternoon times, was at normal levels for other two times.
-Had a weird episode in July where I had an average temperature of 99.2, was having constant heart palps, sweating constantly, had shortness of breath, intermittent diarrhea, and lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks which is usually impossible for me. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in the ER but the symptoms abated after this random two week period, so they dismissed it as a panic attack. (For two weeks nonstop?)
-According to the endocrinologist my thyroid is enlarged/swollen but there are no nodules, and my tests keep coming back as normal or low normal. Why would this be?
-I've also noticed my symptoms get noticeably worse or better depending on where I am in my cycle.
-Also noticed that I tend to feel better and have more energy the later in the day it gets

Sorry this is so long but I tried to squeeze the entire last year and a half of symptoms on here.