View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
(female)

peace4health HB Userpeace4health HB Userpeace4health HB User
Question OGGT with C-Peptide enough? Urgent, plz

I'm scheduled to have an OGTT on Friday, and I'd appreciate if anyone could reply today or tomorrow.

The doctor told me they'd be checking my Glucose and C-Peptide levels during the 3-hour test, because I occasionally have hypoglycemic symptoms.

My fasting glucose has been in the range of 100-106 (5.6-5.9mmol/L) in the past 8 years, except for a couple of times when it went as high as 111 and 115 (6.2 and 6.4mmol/L). I'm not on any medication, have never been.

Now, my question is whether measuring only the C-Peptide levels without Insulin is enough for an accurate diagnosis of whatever I have.

I'd like to add that in my country I'm free to choose whatever test I want to undergo, so I may just pay for Insulin and have that done, too. But in that case, does it make sense to have C-Peptide and Insulin tested at every hour, alongside Glucose?

The only reason I'm not very enthusiastic about doing both C-Peptide & Insulin is the cost. I'll have to pay for each test as if it were a routine one, not a part of the OGTT.

Thanks for any input.

Editing to say oops I noticed I mistyped OGTT in the title, but hope it's not too misleading. I just can't change it.

Last edited by peace4health; 01-18-2012 at 11:50 AM.