View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
(female)

terr828 HB User
Re: One swollen tonsil for almost two months?

Hi there! Thank you for your response. I ended up going back to the doctor and got a referral for an ultrasound. The results came back that I had a few enlarged nodes in my neck but that they all were normal, just enlarged. The doctor recommended waiting a month and checking to see if they would go down at all. This was in the summer, and now my tonsils are both back at the same normal size and have been since August/September. What you did was definitely the smartest thing you could have done. There is no way to know 100% if it is malignant or not unless it is removed. The reason why I didn't push for removal was because the size of my tonsil was gradually decreasing in size and getting better than from when it first became enlarged.

I'm very happy to hear that your scenario turned out well! *hugs* Thank you for the advice . It's always better to be safe than sorry!

And if you happen to come across this post because you are worried about yourself or someone you know that also has swollen gland(s).. Don't panic, there are many MANY innocent reasons as to why glands can swell (viruses, bacterial infections, etc).

If the gland doesn't go down in a few weeks time, or it just randomly appears and you have NO other symptoms, it is definitely a very good idea to go see a Doctor. Do what you think is best for you, if the Doctor gives you the response "It's fine", yet you are still worried, go to a different doctor.. or doctorS and get opinions! It's better to be safe than sorry. Just don't panic, most of the time glands swell due to infection caused by viruses or bacteria. In some cases glands can stay swollen after an infection has passed. Everyone's body is different. Cbs13 gave some great advice, don't always think the worst! I did the same and had myself freaked out for days! The internet has some scary stuff out there. Don't freak yourself out.

If anyone has any questions about my situation or anything else, please feel free to ask! I would love to help anyone in any way I can.