View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 02:21 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: Getting approval from doctor for disability

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBear4you View Post
Have you all experience the above concerns before? what good course of action did you take? Where your doctors supportive of LTD and SSDI?
I was close to losing my job due to absenteeism from being sick. Both of my doctors were supportive of SSDI and LTD.

Quote:
I have not applied for SSDI as I am not sure how my health will be at the end of the STD period. If my health is not good, I will speak with my doctors' regarding LTD.
How long have you been on STD? Is LTD provided by the same insurance company who approved the STD? My STD was administered in-house by the company I worked for. You are on STD so your doctor must have filled out the necessary paperwork for that. Why not ask him/her if your STD runs out and you are still sick, would they support your claim for LTD?
Quote:
I am hoping with my CVID, depression/anxiety, and neck/back issues that if I need LTD later, that my doctors will support me. It is unsettling to think what would I do if they did not. I don't want to return to work if my health is still in jeopardy, otherwise i could lose my job.
If you lose your job due to being sick, you still have a very narrow window where you can submit a claim for LTD. I was actually told by HR that LTD would probably be the best option in my case given my medical history and they were right. Most employers don't want to fire good, longterm employees for being sick too much. I could have still filed a LTD claim had I been fired, but I would have lost my eligibility for retiree benefits. I am glad I made the decision to go for LTD/SSDI. I had a very good outcome.

Most STD will pay for 6 months. Most LTD group policies have a 6 month elimination period, so after you have exhausted your STD, LTD can pick right up so there is no lapse in income. My 50% tax free LTD was a lot more than my 60% taxed STD, although I did get 6 months of STD @ 100% pay and 6 months @ 60% pay due to my years of service.

If you are able to go back to work, all the better but you must prepare yourself and your doctors for the worst case scenario also.

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 01-22-2012 at 02:27 AM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
GregBear4you (02-02-2012), jgrangran (01-22-2012)